Friday, May 30, 2008

ORCHESTRA BAOBAB SLAYS URSULA 1000


Browing music blogs recently, I ran into a remix of the Yardbirds' "For Your Love" by Ursula 1000, a name I was not wholly unfamiliar with, having seen it many times in techo and dance blogs and such. I'm semi-open-minded and always game for something challenging, so I thought I'd give it a listen. The verdict: It flat-out sucked. I needed to get my palate cleansed, but quick.
.
When something like this happens, I skulk not in my little rock n' roll safe harbor. I forge ahead to another challenging, yet more reliable, destination. The old fart hitching post: world music..

On the night of my unfortunate introduction to the pile of shit that is Ursula 1000, I found my palate cleanser in Orchestra Baobab, an outfit from Senegal. Very smooth.
.
Orchestra Baobab - Nijaay and Werente Serigne mp3s at Some Velvet Blog
The Yardbirds "For Your Love" remix by Ursula 1000 mp3 at Welcome to the Dance Club (You've been warned)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i quite like the remix---i think it's clever!

Tom G. said...

I'm glad you do, and I appreciate the civility in your tone. Make no mistake, I know very well that I may be in the minority. I'm also opinionated and a blowhard.

As the host of a crappy blog that gets very few comments, I must point out that Sir Lord Baltimore now holds the title of the "quickest poster of a comment".