Friday, February 12, 2010

(LAZY TITLE) STRAIGHT OUTTA TEL AVIV


Whenever I think about what I'd do if music wasn't available online, the answer is actually pretty simple. I'd be back at the record store, for several hours a week, just browsing the different sections. Right before the local Tower Records closed, I'd just become friends with a couple employees. One was a mega-pierced electro-hipster, the other a nu-hippy. They were both well versed in international music, funk, jazz, and soul. (And, like myself, both were readers of the exhaustive Wax Poetics.) Though I never really asked for recommendations, they subtly validated my purchases ('that's a good one"..."oh, you'd like..."). I miss that.

One
thing that can be said, about online music sources (primarily blogs) is that I can still find the occasional surprise out of nowhere. These two cuts are an excellent example. Would the two guys at Tower ever have steered me towards some singer from Tel Aviv? Maybe, but chances are I never would have heard of Karolina if I hadn't been roaming around aimlessly online.

2 comments:

Jacqueline Ramirez said...

I like 'em.

patidifusa said...

that cozy, nonpushy understanding between record collectors and the ones selling vinyl in some small stores - I found that similar vibe at local small independent record store mtheory and at citizen
video store in south park...fine, like sipping a mint julep