Saturday, April 3, 2010

YOU'RE IN MY SEAT


I know, a whole month away from here. It wasn't exactly a vacation. The short version of what went down is this: I received a notice from my ol' pals at Blogger telling me that they received a complaint regarding one of the links that I posted. Seems a UK music publisher thinks I was posting something that infringed on their copyright or intellectual property or some other such nonsense. The truth of the matter is that I have never uploaded a single mp3, ever. Without exception, every song that's been mentioned on this blog was uploaded by someone else, on someone else's server. I though it obvious enough because I have mentioned, and linked to, the hosting blogs where the songs were found. Apparently that didn't matter. So, I took it upon myself to go digging through some legal fine print, and as far as I can determine, my offense was linking directly to the mp3 files, thus making it easier for hooligans to go raid the pantries of rich rock stars. So, from here on in, I won't give you the key to the liquor cabinet, I'll just point you in the direction of the party. In other words, I'll only link to the blogs, not the actual mp3s. It's an added step that, should you be interested in the song, you'll have to strain to make one or two more clicks with that mouse of yours.
.
For the record, I'm not recommending that you download music posted on the blogs. but I'm not recommending that you don't either. You know as well as I do, that I can't go on record as condoning downloading, and the fact of the matter is you're all big boys and girls and can make your own decisions. I'm just saying that the right-click-"save as" button is a wonderful thing.
.
Now, it didn't take a whole month to figure out how to proceed. One thing I haven't mentioned is that, right about the same time I got the notice from Blogger, I got a virus that chewed up my computer from the inside out. It was bad enough that I was forced to get a new computer, which, unfortunately, came pre-loaded with Windows 7. Ordinarily that wouldn't be a problem, but my mp3 software of choice is Winamp, which hates Windows 7, like I hate UK music publishers. It was a mess friends, and I was thoroughly discombobulated. I had to do a lot of MacGyvering to get the thing to work. But, after a whole lot of cussin', I'm ready to go. The big question is, are you still there?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey t--it's tamara j. i hate those industry fuckers with a passion. it seems that everybody's getting targeted no matter how legit:
http://m.boingboing.net/2010/02/16/music-industry-to-mu.html
good to see you back in the game however you're doin' it.