Wednesday, September 15, 2010

HERE'S TO THE REGULAR GUY


Photo: Jim McGuire

Just look at the photo. Cigarette in hand, customized windbreaker with initials and a PBR patch, and a little greasy kids' stuff in the hair. It's a perfect portrait of a regular guy, and that's what makes it a perfect portrait of Dave Dudley (the full size portrait can be seen here). The man who started the whole truck driving music craze. He had it down to a formula, and made good use of the truckers' vernacular. And, on one of his lesser albums, he was backed by Link Wray and the Wraymen. (Without even glancing at a resume, that rates high on the Trastos cool scale.)

As I get older, and I find my breast pockets full of pens and scraps of papers, and my clothes slowly becoming more practical, it makes me feel okay when I see a photo like the one above. There's something to be said about older people who are just...themselves.

Here's a couple tunes by Dudley, a couple videos, a Dudley bio, a truck driving music post, and a link to a great album of Nashville portraits by Jim McGuire.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~

No comments: