Sunday, November 14, 2010

TWO FROM THE TWIT


I didn't always have an opinion about Conway Twitty. My first impressions were incidental glances at the TV when my Dad would watch Hee Haw. He didn't really stand out, being as he was, just another country singer who was on the show to increase their audience (some while at their peak of their career, and some struggling to stay relevant). Quite honestly, I couldn't have been bothered; I was too wrapped up in gobbling up rock n' roll records. But, because of his unusual name, he stayed within the scope of my peripheral recognition. It wasn't until years later, when my friend and record store owner Dan McLain, played me some of his early stuff that I really took notice. Dan (who I've mentioned before, here and here), was one of a handful of music advisers who I took seriously.

As he pointed out, in Twitty's early hit "Lonely Blue Boy," there are a couple moments when he pours everything he can, into a two letter word. In the line "Lonely Blue Boy is my name," repeated a few times during the song, when he gets to "is" he's really trying the emphasis thing, almost as if he's holding in a belch. But that's just a part of it. The whole package is really pretty remarkable. By the time you've heard the Cramps-like guitar intro, and the first two lines "My name should be trouble, my name should be woe," you're reeled in. Twitty's voice is Elvis-like, and the backing vocals, as doo wopping as they are, sound almost sinister laid over the backing tracks. Being that Dan took it upon himself to sell Twitty's early coolness to me, I thought I ought to pay it forward.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Conway Twitty - Lonely Blue Boy mp3 at Punch Drunk Love
Conway Twitty - It's Only Make Believe mp3 at Mary Hoyer Doll Fashion Show (?!?)
Conway Twitty at Wikipedia
Conway Twitty Official site

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"It's Only Make Believe"...is one of the BEST ballads EVER. I'm continually surprised that no bands have covered it with a James Brown style breakdown, on your knees, at the obviously appropriate moments in this incredible tune. Tom, you might also consider "Cold Hard Truth" as another of Twitty's greatest songs...it's one of my favorites anyway. HaroldGee