Wednesday, April 4, 2012

IT'S A KILLAH


Last night I ran into a couple early Lee Perry produced tunes, one of which was by the Ethiopians, one of the often overlooked reggae vocal groups. It reminded me that I've never posted one of my favorite Ethiopians' songs, "Hong Kong Flu," about the Hong Kong Flu, which spread in a world wide pandemic in 1968, killing roughly a million people. The Ethiopians cut, a public service song of sorts, always cracked me up in a "I shouldn't be laughing at this" sort of way. The way it sounds so lighthearted, all while singing "It's a killah, woa-oh, uh-huh, it's a killah, woa-oh, uh-huh, it's terrible and dreadful mon,..."

When I found that song, I wasn't prepared for the song that was posted along with it. "Fatty Fatty" by Clancy Eccles, at first listen is a nice little early reggae number that I've heard it many times before. But the version posted at Beware of the Blog is one I hadn't heard before. It's a X-rated version, and let's just say the guesting female vocalist gives Donna Summer's performance on the long version of "I Feel Love" a run for it's money.

So here's the stuff. The Ethiopians' "Awake" and the Faithful Brothers' "Iniquity Workers" should be of interest to some of you Lee Perry fiends. Both are early pre-Black Ark productions, and until a recent reissue, available only as Jamaican issued 45s.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
The Ethiopians - Awake mp3 at For the Sake of the Song Early Lee Perry production
The Faithful Brothers - Iniquity Workers mp3 at For the Sake of the Song Early Lee Perry production
The Ethiopians - Hong Kong Flu mp3 at Beware of the Blog
Clancy Eccles - Fatty Fatty (X-rated version) at Beware of the Blog

No comments: