Monday, April 23, 2012

THESE GUYS RULE

Yesterday I mentioned that a violin solo on one of the Quantic & Alice Russell cuts made me want to hear Don & Dewey, who don't sound like them at all.  It was just the violin.  I know I've raved about Don & Dewey before.  It's just really befuddling, why more people aren't absolutely apeshit about these guys.  This is second or third tier rock 'n' roll fiendom,  It should be top tier.  You should all know Don and Dewey.  So today, as I've done several times before, I went hunting for something in an effort to get you sapsuckers to actually hear something by them other than the few cuts I've posted before, awesome as they are.  I was looking in particular for "Farmer John," a semi-hit for the Premiers when they covered it, and "Pink Champagne," which features Don Harris' fine violin playing.  (I know what you're thinking.  Worry not.  It's not what you think.  The violin fits.)  I actually found a six song rip of side two of a Don & Dewey compilation that includes both of those songs.  That's the good news.  The bad news is that it's a tinny sounding rip.  Just pretend you're listening to a Don & Dewey block on Johnny Otis's radio show, on a tinny AM radio.  (Johnny Otis actually played them.  I've heard tapes.  So cool is he.)  I threw three previously posted songs down there too, in regular fidelity (substantially better), so you can add it up.  A very detailed bio is available at the Hound Blog, which, as you would expect of this Hound character, is top notch; some good reading.  If you like the cuts below, there's a readily available 25 cut compilation that has just about everything they recorded as Don & Dewey proper.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Don & Dewey - Jungle Hop mp3 at The Adios Lounge
Don & Dewey - Justine mp3 at Beware of the Blog
Don & Dewey - A Little Love mp3 at Rock 'n' Soul Ichiban
Don & Dewey - Six songs in a single mp3 at Boot Sale Sounds Tinny rips of: Pink Champagne, Little Sally Walker, Farmer John, Jungle Hop, Kill Me, The Letter
Visit:
Don & Dewey at The Hound Blog

No comments: