Thursday, June 21, 2012

NEW DEPTHS OF SUCKAGE


The extended title for this post could have easily been "Extreme Guilty Pleasures, Summer Lovers Related Songs and One For You Aging Indie Creeps." In other words, let's just get these wretchedly non-rock songs out of the way, and satiate you people who like Superchunk all at the same time.

First off is Superchunk, who have never really done much for me. Don't ask me why. If you put super in the name of your band, you better damn well bring it. I don't particularly think that they do, but some of my friends used to go off about them...anyway, they have a new one out, "This Summer," which peaks at the beginning of the guitar solo (at 1:43) and after a couple tweaks of the whammy bar, returns quickly to earth. But you might dig it.



Full transparency: I've got a soft spot for the worst movie. Summer Lovers came out about '82, and before you start tee-heeing, the location of the film is 90% of the draw. Pre-rave Greece, Santorini to be exact, during the summer, on the coast. Yeah, baby. I didn't even mind the blandness of the soundtrack. It's the movie that made me want to travel, and...it...blows. As does the title song, by Michael Sembello. Damn it, if I don't have a soft spot for that too.


In context friends: what twenty-something male in the eighties could not be moved by that? Location, location, location.

If you know anything about Sembello, you know that he did "Maniac" (from the film Flashdance) as well. Same trademark bland vocals too. I won't subject you to that one, but I did find a recent cover by Peaches, with Mollinex (of whom I know squat). Continuing along, since we were on a Summer Lovers tangent, there's Le Tigre's cover of "I'm So Excited," the original of which, by the Pointer Sisters, appeared on the soundtrack. (I think I remember the kids having some kind of goofy fun in that part of the picture.) Consider this a garage sale. Tough stuff will return maƱana.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Superchunk - This Summer mp3 at I Am Fuel, You Are Friends
Moullinex feat. Peaches - Maniac mp3 at Stoney Roads
Le Tigre - I'm So Excited .mp3 at Flavour2X
Michael Sembello - Summer Lovers mp3 at Lamaladie Tropicale
Really, one exists:
Summer Lovers fan site

No comments: