Sunday, July 22, 2012

MIX MEAT FROM THE EAST


Holy hell, sometimes it starts with just one click. I did not expect to spend half of my evening digging on hopped up sixties tunes from China and Jakarta. It began at Bodega Pop's China A Go Go post, which sucked me right in with the title alone. They had a link to a mix, and three test-run songs streaming. The one that caught my eye was a cover of "Shakin' All Over," by Nancy Sit. C'mon, a cover of that song, by someone with that name, released in China in the sixties? Who wouldn't bite? I dug it enough to post, so I went in search of a photo of the swingin' Ms Sit. I ended up at Garage Hangover, who had a whole post with nine songs of hers, including covers of "Hanky Panky," "Love Potion No. 9," "Hippy Hippy Shake," "Hang On Sloopy," "Wooly Bully," and "I'm a Believer." You'll have to go there to get them (they disable direct linking to mp3s), but it's worth the ride. But that's not even the good part.

When I got to the end of that post, there were links to two other posts by the same guest author. I was ready to call it a night, but figured what the hell. So, I clicked, and was off to Jakarta, to dig on the crazy sounds of Koes Bersaudara (pictured at the top of the post). One song in particular wound me up so much, that I postponed posting it to let it digest, to see if it might be my mood that made it so interesting. Thankfully, that wasn't the case. Now, I don't know your taste, but if you know me, or are at all familiar with what kind of oddball records wind my watch, I implore you to go to the post, and take a listen to "Poor Clown" by Koes Bersaudara. While the singer ain't no Gerry Roslie, he's definitely got some sort of Indonesian gravel in his throat. While you're at it, listen to the other cuts, and most definitely read the text. Among other things, you'll learn that the band was locked up for three months for playing "I Saw Her Standing There."

I think I've finally distilled what it is that I get from this sort of music. I'm not going to lie to you. I know that there isn't anything here that, at the end of the day, is earth shattering. I like it because it's challenging. Not in an egghead sort of way, but in a "What the hell is going on here? Let's check this out." sort of way. Enough jibba jabba. There's two more you should check out below, posts on other Indonesian artists, Dara Puspita and Pattie Bersaudara.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Koes Bersaudara - Poor Clown (streaming) at YouTube
Koes Bersaudara - Six songs
at Garage Hangover Go there to get them. They have direct linking to mp3s disabled. The same goes for the other Garage Hangover links below. It's worth it.
Nancy Sit - Shakin' All Over mp3
(via DivShare) at Bodega Pop Plus two other songs
Nancy Sit - Nine songs
at Garage Hangover
Pattie Bersaudara - Three songs
at Garage Hangover
Dara Puspita - Four Songs
at Garage Hangover
The mix:
China A Go Go at Bodega Pop

No comments: