Wednesday, August 8, 2012

THANK YOU HAROLD


I can remember the incident like it happened yesterday. I was at some sort of party somewhere, and right about the time Jessie Hill says "Ohh yeaaahhh," in the opening of "Ooh Poo Pah Doo," my friend Harold, who had an encyclopedic knowledge of music and an unquenchable thirst for all things hot shit and true, got this really wild grinning look on his face and let out with "'Ohh Poo Pah Doo'!! I love this song!!" and then proceeded to get down. His musical taste had always been so dead on, that the impulsive endorsement has stuck with me, not only every time I hear the song, but every time I hear anything out of New Orleans with that familiar chunky beat.

Harold later moved to New Orleans where he's lived for the last twenty or so years. One year, when all of the planets were aligned, my brother and I, along with six other friends from San Diego, all ended up in New Orleans at the same time, and Harold set the bar as ambassador. He arranged for a bunch of us to camp out in vacant apartments in the French Quarter during the few days that we were there. Ernie K-Doe was still DJing on WWOZ, Professor Longhair's cousin was playing in the bar down the street and the Nevilles played for free in Jackson Square. Music poured from shops and residences seemingly non-stop. My brother picked up 78s of Little Richard and Chuck Berry for practically nothing (you read that right, 78s!). It was total bliss.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Jessie Hill - Ooh Poo Pah Doo, Pt 1 mp3 (via DivShare) at Junk Shop Juke Box
Jessie Hill - Ooh Poo Pah Doo, Pt 2 mp3
(via DivShare) at Junk Shop Juke Box
Jessie Hill - Oogsey Moo mp3
at Rock 'n' Soul Ichiban
Jessie Hill - Whip It On Me mp3
at Rock 'n' Soul Ichiban
Visit:
Jessie Hill at Wikipedia
Junk Shop Juke Box
Rock 'n' Soul Ichiban

No comments: