Friday, January 11, 2013

FIFTY SONGS I DIDN'T POST

Tonight we're setting the Wayback Machine to June 2007. Big Rock Candy Mountain was a fairly new blog, and they had just introduced a second blog, Bar Stool Mountain, dedicated to drinking songs They started it with a countdown of the top 100 drinking songs of all time. It was a good list, loaded with favorites. Scanning it, there was Dave Dudley, George Jones, Wynonie Harris, Merle Haggard,,,,, everything as it should be. Then, the horror of horrors, "Margaritaville" at #71. Chills ran right down through my liver. Upon voicing (rather typing) my displeasure at such a grievous inclusion, the host was kind enough to fulfill my request for Hank Thompson's "Six Pack to Go" and I was invited to counter their Buffet choice with one of my own (Gang Green's "Alcohol"). That sort of good sportsmanship goes a long way over here, and I've had a soft spot for all things Mountain ever since.

Last year I linked to Big Rock Candy Mountain's year-end top fifty. They just finished posting this years list and, dutifully, I'm again using it as an excuse to slack off for the night. There's lots of goodies to dig through. Don't let the Buffet incident scare you. I've been following them for five years and they've proven time and time again that they do in fact have taste, and either a penchant for getting on promo lists or deep pockets, because they feature a helluva lot more new stuff than I do. So without any further blabbing, here's links to their top fifty records of 2012, with a few single songs that I happened to dig.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen: 
Reverend Frost - Every Goddam Thing to Hell mp3 at Big Rock Candy Mountain
Chicken Diamond - Country Song mp3 at Big Rock Candy Mountain 
Holly Golightly and the Brokeoffs - Goddamn Holy Roll mp3 at Big Rock Candy Mountain
More sounds:
Big Rock Candy Mountain's list, selections 1-10
Big Rock Candy Mountain's list, selections 11-20
Big Rock Candy Mountain's list, selections 21-30
Big Rock Candy Mountain's list, selections 31-40
Big Rock Candy Mountain's list, selections 41-50

No comments: