Friday, February 1, 2013

SLY AS SELECTOR

About two or three years ago, my niece and her husband went to Jamaica for a musician friend's wedding. Shortly after she got back, she asked me "Do you know who Robbie and Sly are?" After we determined that it was the Sly and Robbie she was talking about, she told me that she had met them at the wedding and that they were nice. She said that at some point in the reception, Sly had his eyes closed and was rocking back and forth. She asked if he was okay and he replied that he was just "feeling the music". 

That's what I was thinking when I listened to these in succession. These are from a recent list of Sly Dunbar's top five favorite records, recently posted at iCrates. What I found interesting was the contrast of the last two, both of which feature the Sly and Robbie rhythm section. They're separated by only a year, but it was right at that point that they were just starting to play on non-reggae sessions. I gotta say though, I'm not so sure I like how their style has evolved. But, jeez, did they play on a lot of good records. Their complete discography is something to see.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~

From Sly Dunbar's Top Five Favorite Records:
Booker T and the MGs - Hip Hug Her mp3 at 8106
Sly and the Family Stone - Family Affair mp3 at Beppers
Tommy McCook - Freedom Sounds (streaming) at YouTube
Black Uhuru - Guess Who's Coming to Dinner mp3 at J'ai Des Amis Shlags 
Grace Jones - Private Lives mp3 at The Couch Sessions
Visit:
Sly Dunbar interviewed at iCrates Not really an interview, but a veery good profile distilled from an interview.
Sly Dunbar and Robbie Shakespeare at Wikipedia

No comments: