Saturday, June 1, 2013

PEANUT, EH? YEAH, SURE.

You know how to tell that your taste has changed? I opened a recent freebie magazine and saw an ad for local venue, and among the upcoming events were shows by the Damned, and Thee Midniters. Now, I've never been all that into the Damned, and I'm sure that's the result of two things. One is that when they first started making noise in the states, the Sex Pistols and the Clash were the other two big UK punk bands. It was a wait and see thing, undoubtedly propelled by thing number two: Dave Vanian's fucking make up routine. I remember thinking it was a bit Alice Cooperish for punk rock, and really kind of out of place. Of course, I later came to like a few of their songs, but I still don't own any of their records. 

I don't own any records by Thee Midniters either, but seeing that they were coming got me me more worked up then the Damned coming (what year is it anyway?). If you're not familiar with Thee Midniters, don't let the double "e" in their name fool you. They're not some garage band. Wait, I guess they sorta are, but in a different vein. They were big in the sixties East L.A. scene. Pretty much thee band. In their scene they were the equivalent of the Sex Pistols or the Clash, not the Damned. (Well, that was one roundabout tweak.) "Whittier Blvd" was their biggee, but you have to listen to "I Found A Peanut". The smack begins to flow at :36.

Writing that last phrase made me think of the Velvet's "Heroin", so I just chased "I Found A Peanut" with "Heroin", and who knew? They sound completely different, but the feel is remotely the same. Listening to them back to back made me feel more wasted than I've been in a very long time. This is all nighter music.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Thee Midniters - Whittier Blvd mp3 at DRB's Blog
Thee Midniters - I Found A Peanut mp3 at Api.ning.com
Thee Midniters - Jump, Jive & Harmonize mp3 at Raven Sings the Blues
The Velvet Underground - Heroin mp3 at Music or Space Shuttle

No comments: