Saturday, July 13, 2013

THOSE OLDIE BUT GOODIES

Earlier tonight I was attempting to get through the Germs bio-pic, What We Do Is Secret, for the third or fourth time. Though, I gave up a little further into it in this viewing, it just seems too corny, like an After School Special. After I lost interest this time, I just left it on and went about my business. When I was in the kitchen, I heard "Forming" from their first 45, from the other room. If you weren't around when it came out, you'll probably think it sucks. Hell, most of the people who were around when it came out think it sucks. But when I heard it, albeit a reenactment, it might as well have been "Johnny B. Goode", for the amount of times I've heard it, and how familiar it was. And I think the song sucks. But there was a very small window of time, I think it was just weeks, when "Forming" was the only L.A. punk single out. Things like that carry with them strange attractions. I saw the Germs live back then, their second show. It was a "Kim Fowley Presents New Wave" showcase at the Whiskey. I think bands just signed up to play, I don't think there were auditions. So it was a real crap shoot. They sucked, and here I am, all these years later, and I'll be damned if that shitty song doesn't feel like Chuck Berry.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
The Germs - Forming mp3 at ATumblr.com (?)
A little later:
The Germs - Richie Dagger's Crime at The Adios Lounge
The Germs - Communist Eyes mp3
at Punk Sounds
The Germs - Lexicon Devil mp3
at 7 Inch Punk

No comments: