Monday, October 7, 2013

SHUT UP. THEY'RE COOL.

I know, total squares right? Then tell me why I dig "Wah Watusi" so much? Something about it. The Orlons were kind of unique in that they were kind of a girl group, but they had a guy in the line up. They all met in high school, and named themselves the Orlons as a play on the rival high school vocal group the Cashmeres, and they were encouraged to audition for Cameo Records by another high school classmate, a member of the Dovells ("Bristol Stomp"). 

One thing I've got to say; hearing "Wah-Watusi" makes me really miss bona fide oldies stations. I don't mean the plethora of stations playing "the hits of the 60s, 70s and 80's". I'm talking the good stuff, roughly mid-fifties to mid-sixties. There are an awful lot of groups like the Orlons that I never actually owned a record of. I'd heard them so much on the oldies stations, I didn't need to. But after hearing their great cover of "Heartbreak Hotel", it occurred to me that I hadn't heard "Wah Watusi" in a very long time. And it sounded way better than I remembered it.

That cover of "Heartbreak Hotel" down there is another one you should really hear. They really make it their own, total Northern soul. And don't bother comparing it with the Elvis version; apples and oranges.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
The Orlons - Heartbreak Hotel mp3 at De Discos y Monstruos
The Orlons - Wah Watusi mp3 at Joe Troiano's Blog
The Orlons - Don't Hang Up mp3 at Russ Strathdee

No comments: