Saturday, December 14, 2013

YEAH, MAN

One of my favorite radio DJs of the past few years is this guy named Phil Dinsen. He's an unassuming old school guy, with a show on the jazz station called Jazz West Coast. Though the show usually features exactly what you'd expect from a show like that (Bud Shank and his mob), he slips in a few oddballs now and then. I don't listen to it religiously, but I've heard him play Ken Nordine on multiple occasions. For the uninitiated, there's a couple of Nornine's cuts below. He did niche stuff, word jazz; spoken word over jazz. I bring that up because, c'mon, if you know Nordine you know what I mean. When are you ever going to hear Ken Nordine played on the radio? Regular radio, not some hipster podcast jive. Of course that gets my attention. This Dinsen character is A-OK in my book.

Today he played Clark Terry's "Mumbles", another jazz related curiosity, the lyrics of which I can totally relate to.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Ken Nordine - Time mp3 at Tuxedo Junction
Ken Nordine - My Baby mp3 at Tuxedo Junction
Clark Terry - Mumbles mp3 at Peter Zak
Visit:
Jazz West Coast (streaming, Saturdays 3:00 - 5:00 PM, PST) at Jazz 88 Click on "Listen Live" button, top right of the screen)

No comments: