Wednesday, February 19, 2014

CHECK THE BROWN PAPER BAG

Have you ever heard Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings' version of "Just Dropped In (To See What Condition Your Condition Is In)"? If you've heard both hers and the version by Kenny Rogers and the First Edition, you know how cool the reinvented arrangement in Jones's version is. I'd always assumed it was the work of one of those Daptone soul eggheads. But tonight I was just kind of clicking around some old posts at Soul Garage, and ran into Bettye LaVette's cover, from 1968. That seems to be the source of the arrangement. It also happens to be the source of my new favorite version. The thing smokes.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Bettye LaVette - What Condition My Condition Is In mp3 at Soul Garage 1968
Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings - Just Dropped in (To See What Condition My Condition Is In) mp3 at Passion of the Weiss 2004
Kenny Rogers and the First Edition - Just Dropped in (To See What Condition My Condition Is In) mp3 at Safety Fun  and Learning 1967
Mickey Newberry - Just Dropped In (To See What Condition My Condition Is In) (streaming) at YouTube The original,

No comments: