Saturday, January 17, 2015

JUST MY TYPE

Quick, name five female rockabilly singers from the fifties. I know, a little tough isn't it? Wanda Jackson, Janis Martin, Lorrie Collins, Sparkle Moore, uh, uh, uh... That's how it went for me. There's not a whole lot that many of us know, excluding of course the rockabilly fiend elite. Well, I got schooled tonight. I happened to run across Betty Smith's "Yeah Baby", and dug it enough, it had me looking for more. I found squat. So, off I wander, in search of a way to wiggle it in here. Tonight's ticket, a handful of songs by second tier lady rockers. ("Female rockers"? "Women rockers"? "Lady rockers" sounds better.) 

Smith's "Yeah Baby" is a great song. What I really love is the sound of that record. Seriously, it really does sound like it was recorded in a garage, or a minimally equipped studio at best. Like the band is playing right in front of you. You'll recognize the sound, particularly the drums. Good stuff. Then there's Laura Lee Perkins (pictured above), who was billed as the female Jerry Lee Lewis. C'mon, you think I'm not going to bite? I don't care how accurate that description is, I'm there. The click was not wasted. Perkins does a bang up job. Though light on the keys, she makes up for it. She wails. There's two other mysto-ladies down there, but I'm talked out. Dig them on your own.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Betty Smith - Yeah Baby mp3 at Mp3 Rockabilly
Laura Lee Perkins - Gonna Rock My Baby Tonight mp3
at Rocky 52
Joyce Green - Black Cadillac mp3
at Rocky 52
Barbara Allen - Sweet Willie mp3
at Mp3 Rockabilly

No comments: