Monday, May 4, 2015

SAY IT AGAIN

I saw something posted on a social media page today that said "America has been at war 222 out of 239 years since 1776. Let that sink in for a moment..." Whoa. After I let that sink in for a moment as suggested, I found myself reciting the opening lines to the song "War" in my head. You know 'em. You may have just thought about the same song. In what could be seen as a case of misplaced priorities, instead of looking for more data on the subject, it had me on the hunt for the original version of the song by the Temptations, the one that Edwin Starr turned into the a massive hit. After hearing the original, it was on to more of that psychedelic soul era Temptations stuff. "Cloud Nine" was the first song working with producer Norman Whitfield, and the first Motown record to win a Grammy. The suits were gone, a string of similarly sounding psych-soul records in their place. All of these are tight, trust me. There's a whole lot of stuff going on in them, begging for repeated listenings. That Whitfield was a genius.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
The Temptations - War mp3 at Soul Boogie Alex (?)
The Temptations - Cloud Nine mp3 at Boogie Woogie Flu
The Temptations - Ball of Confusion mp3 at LZ Center
The Temptations - Papa Was a Rolling Stone mp3 at Lots of Fish (?)

No comments: