Sunday, October 4, 2015

THE HAMMOND LADY AND HER HEAVY FRIENDS

I'm not a big fan of money. Not because it's a little scarce at times but because, while it may not be the root of all evil, it's sure as hell the root of a lot of it. So I had reservations about posting a song titled "I Want Some Money Baby", because, really, we don't want more money. None of us. You may want the security of knowing you won't suffer dire financial straits, or you may want to own "nice things", but money is just the means to get that stuff. Never mind the tangible dollar bills in stacks and bundles. That's a bad Scarface joke. And people kill for that shit. It's paper. I don't subscribe to that money is power routine. That'll get us right back to that root of all evil thing. I'm of the opinion that money pretty much blows.

Cherry Wainer (above. with drummer Don Storer) changed my mind tonight. Though her wicked cool cover of Barrett Strong's "Money" has been posted here before, well, it's wicked cool. Cool enough to grease the wheels for Tommy Ridgley's "I Want Some Money Baby". So, I'm throwing up my hands. Here's some songs about money, with a lengthy counterpoint that hits closer to home by the O'Jays. "For the Love of Money". The long version. Yeah. It's wicked cool all over the place in here.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Tommy Ridgley – I Want Some Money Baby mp3 at Soul Garage
Barrett Strong - Money mp3 at Post Post Racial
Cherry Warner - Money mp3 at Boogaloo Time
The Contours - First I Look at the Purse mp3 at Ghost Whisperer (?)
The O'Jays - For the Love of Money mp3 at AMPS (?)

No comments: