Wednesday, November 4, 2015

GET OUT OF MY LIFE WOMAN DEPOT

There I was, just browsing, when I came across the Mighty Diamonds doing a cover of "Get Out of My Life Woman", a song written by Allen Toussaint, and a hit for Lee Dorsey (above) in 1966. I had to hear it, knowing that a reggae cover of a Toussaint song had to be decent, plus I happen to dig the Mighty Diamonds in general. Alas, it lacked that certain oomph I was hoping for. The quest was on. I ran into another reggae cover of it by Byron Lee and the Dragonaires that was a little closer to the mark. Good enough, but wait, what's this? A cover by Dutch beat nuts Q65 that I'd completely forgotten about. Dig the gloriously honking sax on that. Then, what the hell, if you're going to post a cover, it's helpful to post the well known version for comparison. Couldn't find Lee Dorsey's version anywhere but YouTube, but in looking for it I ran across Get Out Business, a zip with thirty one, count 'em, thirty one versions, a veritable "Get Out of My Life Woman" black hole. Does anyone need that many versions? Yes and no, depends on who you are. But the first one I listened to, by someone named Grassella Olliphant, is awesome. Old school stoner jazz. It alone is worth fussing with thirty other versions.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Mighty Diamonds - Get Out of My Life Woman mp3 at Glide
Byron Lee and the Dragonaires - Get Out of My Life Woman mp3
at ATumblr (?)
Q65 - Get Out of My Life Woman mp3
at Stop Smiling
Lee Dorsey - Get Out of My Life Woman
(streaming) at YouTube
Grassella Olliphant - Get Out of My Life Woman
(streaming) at YouTube
The black hole:
Get Out Business at Strictly Business
NOTE: Once at Mediafire, the password provided by Strictly Business is defandstupid

No comments: