Saturday, April 30, 2016

DEMOLITION DERBY ROCK

After spending an hour of watching videos of demolition derby races, which I might add was an excellent use of time, I went in search of a soundtrack. My first thought was Flipper's "Sex Bomb", but that was too easy. Maybe okay for regular demolition derbies, but I'd been watching demolition derbies with large vans and buses, and the harder stuff, caravan races with trailers. Those were the best. Total vehicular carnage. Like a chain fight on wheels. Nope, I needed something less obvious than "Sex Bomb". Let's see what Sonic Youth has cooking. Contrary to my usual method of finding music, I headed straight to their official site.


What's this? A new Sonic Youth LP of unreleased instrumental demos from '86? Okay, I sampled one song and it might as well have been Eno for what I needed. Stopped long enough to check out their mp3 page, and there's some interesting stuff. Their first release, backwards. Okay, but that still doesn't say "smash 'em up" to me. On to the live stuff. Quite a bit of feedback and what have you. Ordinarily that would have claimed more of my time. Really, it's the take away for tonight if you haven't been watching demolition derby videos. But, I was on a mission, and that was to find something that captured the intensity of the playful, stupid as brilliant, destruction I'd seen. I just cut to the chase and watched Einstürzende Neubauten, circa 1983. Yeah, early. It did more than hit the spot. Smashed it all to hell.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Flipper - Sex Bomb mp3 at Sergey Khabaroff's Holiday Songs (?)
Sonic Youth - Eric's Trip (Live 1990) mp3 at Sonic Youth
Sonic Youth - Theme with Noise (streaming) at Spinhead Sessions
Sonic Youth - More mp3s at Sonic Youth Some good stuff 
Video:
Einstürzende Neubauten - Autobahn at Vimeo 1983

No comments: