Friday, May 20, 2016

AND SHE PLAYS TAMBOURINE WITH HER FOOT

I can't exactly figure out why, but I have a soft spot for Jessie Mae Hemphill that surpasses anything music related. Just her vibe. It might help that the first I heard time I her was on a Highwater Records 45, and I bought it because of the sleeve. Black and white, unremarkable, but with a photo that said "This is going to be good, weird, or both." Whatever it was, it wouldn't be run of the mill. It wasn't. Jessie Mae Hemphill was in.

Hemphill is an excellent guitarist, with a restrained singing style. Think Slim Harpo. But the hook was the tambourine. On some songs it's relentless. I dig it. These songs have appeared here before, I know. But this is for those who aren't familiar with Jessie Mae Hemphill, or maybe weren't in the mood the first time. I don't want to see people walk around like that.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Jessie Mae Hemphill - Standing In My Doorway Crying mp3
at Ghetto Session
Jessie Mae Hemphill - Honey Bee mp3
at Subverse

Jessie Mae Hemphill - Crawdad Hole mp3 at Tiny Cat Pants
Video:
Jessie Mae Hemphill - Train, Train at YouTube  So cool.
Visit:
Jessie Mae Hemphill at Wikipedia

No comments: