Tuesday, November 21, 2017

THE RECORD THAT ATE A NIGHT

The Ramrods? The name seemed familiar, but the Ramrods record I have is a cover of "Ghost Riders in the Sky", a surf type instrumental. It didn't seem likely that they would do a song called "Soul Express". I clicked, I listened, I dropped my jaw. This Ramrods is obviously not the same, but "Soul Express" is an early funk monster. Seriously. I listened to it three times in a row before moving forward. When I did move on, it took a few hours before I had even come close to getting through the post that included it.

It turned out that it was on a post at Red Kelly's mindblowing Soul Detective. The post starts out about Joe Haywood and goes through all sorts of detours with snippets and clues sourced from a bunch of other blogs. This wouldn't be all that big of a deal if the sources weren't the cream of the soul blogging crop. Funky 16 Corners, Sir Shambling, Home of the Groove...it's a who's who of soul eggheads and includes a heaping helping of other songs related to this rabbit hole of a post. Check it and see how long it takes you.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
The mother lode:
Case One: Joe Haywood at Soul Detective Note: Right click on song titles to download. Sixteen songs.

No comments: