Monday, December 3, 2007

FLY COVER GIRLS


I like Bob Dylan's music as much as the next guy, but in terms of my record collection, there is a gaping hole when it comes to his catalog. I have a few of his, all relatively early (Blonde on Blonde being the latest) and of course I know there's lots more out there considered "essential" listening. I'll get to it when I get too it (so just back off). I've given up buying shit just because it appears on lists. Devouring all of the "essential" albums of Dylan (or any artist) has never been a top priority for me, especially one with a shitload of stuff that's constantly referenced and tirelessly revered. The guy already has about five or six in my not-the-vastest collection, I gotta leave some room for the young guns. Which brings us to Karen O (Yeah, Yeah, Yeahs) and Cat Power's Dylan covers on the recently released I'm Not There soundtrack. Give me a Dylan cover in the hands of an younger artist that I already have a favorable opinion of and I'm a fly on stink.
These and three more Dylan covers at The Runout Groove
12/27: If those links go dead, try the ones at Twelve Major Chords
Added 12/4: Ran across a long blurb about the movie and three more non-soundtrack covers (13th Floor Elevators and Marrianne Faithful) at This Recording

No comments: