Sunday, January 13, 2008

MAYTALS' "SWEET AND DANDY" (I CAN DO THAT!)


Where to start with this clip? It's the Maytals, in a studio scene from "The Harder They Come," one of the reasons I first fell in love with early reggae vocal groups. It was right before the big push to make Toots Hibbert the central focus of the group, which was probably justified because his throaty rasp became one of the most recognizable and enduring reggae voices in the ensuing decades. The clip's also a particulary good example of the gospel and soul influences that often found their way into early reggae vocal groups.
.
For me though, the real draw of this clip is a punk rock-esque moment, one that gives me goosebumps everytime I see it. It comes at about 1:52 in the clip where Jimmy Cliff , as the central character Ivan (in the yellow hat), has that "aha!" moment. The epiphany that launched hundreds of reggae (and early punk) careers, the DIY baptism, where the light bulb goes off. The "I can do that!" moment, without which, we'd all still be listening to Perry Como. (To see that captured on film was worth breaking my "no YouTube" policy.)
.
And, yes Virgina, there are mp3s. Download "Pressure Drop" if you want the soundtrack to what this oaf calls dancing (it does happen).

No comments: