Tuesday, November 24, 2009

REST IN PEACE EVIE


There is no easy way to say it. Evie Bibo, one of San Diego's original punk rockers, has passed away. She died of a brain aneurysm, by all accounts suddenly. She was a rare individual who dearly loved rock n' roll (and classic films), yet made it all seem like curtains around the real show, friendship. She was a sweetheart, all substance, no bullshit. Never saw her angry. Ever.

We go way back. She was, at different times, a fellow fan, a roommate, and the object of a crush. But most of all, she was a friend. With all the shared tastes and in-jokes that real friendship implies. I'd lost touch with her, and had just recently reconnected via Facebook. It was enough for me to know that she seemed healthy and happy. Though sad as that sounds, I know that she felt the same way. I knew our paths would cross again at some point.

She was ultra cool. And I mean that as a fan of a friend. It is a rare thing, to be cool without swagger, but she was. If she dug something, you checked it out, because she was always dead on. I think of her everytime I see a listing for "It's a Wonderful Life," and I think of her everytime I hear Johnny Thunders. During my crush phase, I made her a little stuffed doll of a "Too Much, Too Soon" era-Johnny Thunders. During the roommate phase, she turned me on to the Heartbreakers. So I had to post these songs, not of any lyrical relevance, but because they were something we shared. They're cool. But even Thunders couldn't do it without swagger. Evie could.

Goodby sweet Evie. "Stoned yet?"

Johnny Thunders - You Can't Put Your Arms Around a Memory mp3
The Heartbreakers - Born to Lose mp3
The Heartbreakers - All By Myself mp3
The Heartbreakers - Chinese Rocks mp3
Above photo: Evie, San Francisco, mid-80's by Jacqueline Ramirez

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

sleep well little sister

Anonymous said...

I'm blown away. I didn't even know until someone sent me the link to your site Tom (Scoty). I tried writing to the last email address I had for you but it bounced back. I'm at the same one if you could write to me and let me know what the hell happened. Pet the cat. xo, Ruth

Tom G said...

Ruth, this is an account from Evie's friend Bernie Keating:

"She was in the park on Sunday and complained of headaches. They got so bad she asked to be taken to the hospital. Her friend took her to the hospital and she collapsed in the lobby. They rushed her into critical care. She was experiencing an anuerism that was quite severe.

They worked on her hard and long but nothing could be done. It was quick and it was painless. Friends and family were there. But everything happened so quickly not everyone was contacted."

Ruth, I lost your email, but mine is my first and last initial then 92107@cox.net (Fill in the blank: T_92107@cox.net) (You and Jacqui were the first people I thought of, but I lost your email.)

Tom Rulon said...

What an absolute tragedy! My God, why Evie? My you rest in peace forever and look down upon us from above and know you're in our hearts forever. Tom Rulon

kk said...

I'm heartsick. My friend, Mary, was with her that day. We all used to hang out years ago. Even tho I hadn't seen her in a while....she was an A list friend. She had just facebooked me about getting together and how handsome she thought my son was.

Mary was the friend that had lunch with her that day. Here is what she told me: They had sushi. (She asked about me and my son which fills me up with joy now.) Then they went to her house, played with T-Bone and Mary talked her into going to the soccer park where her kids were playing. She complained of a headache once there and Mary was going to get something at a nearby store. Then she asked to be taken to Cedars. She passed out at the emergency "check in".
They asked her her name as they wheeled her away and Mary said she said it. Evie. and that was it.

I hate that she is not here. I hate that I didn't make those plans to see her. I hate that this is how I have to learn this lesson....kk

Richard Chase said...

Devastated. I see Ruth posted, good to hear from her. Evie and I moved up from San Diego to live in LA, then SF, before we parted ways. All in all, 3 or so years together, in the early 80's. This tragic event has triggered a rush of memories, as I'm sure it has for all who knew her. Richard