Saturday, February 6, 2010

SORRY, MORE SOUNDS FROM THE FRONT ST HI-FI


A few thanks, for friends and strangers. First off, thanks to the regular visitors of this forsaken hack job (all four of you), who have been wondering what the hell was up with the last couple of posts (and this one). Without going into too much more detail, let me just say that these posts have, admittedly, been a little indulgent, but for good reason. The people who I've written about, and those who have left comments, were all part of the embyonic San Diego punk scene, and the house we've been referring to was as close to a non-venue epicenter as there was. Like I said two posts earlier, the sharing of music in the house was amazing, and I'm sure I'm not the only one whose musical interests and tastes developed at a fast clip due to the concentration of shared enthusiasm. In short, we were fucking lucky.

Thanks, too, to everybody from the house, and the friends that stopped by either here or Facebook, I'm still in a daze. I almost feel as if the last thirty years were spent running in place. It's been a fucking crazy couple weeks. As if all the people from the house being active online isn't mindblowing enough, I reconnected with a Hitmaker on Facebook, the same day I got an email from a Dil. Gary Heffern is in town (from Finland) for another few days, and Carl Rusk (now living in New York)and Ron Silva (in San Francisco) just played at a local club, with their side project, the Nashville Ramblers on Friday night. This is all coincidental, but a mindfuck nonetheless.

A few notes about the music: Besides the now head-thumpingly obvious songs mentioned in the comments (of the earlier posts), I threw in a couple that I remember, along with a couple others. One is for Gary. I remember the exact location that Gary first told me I should check out Gram Parsons (outside the "pop art" bathroom, at the top of the stairs.) I never did hear Parsons at Front Street, but, I sure did later. So, here's a very belated thanks Gary. ("I remember something you once told me, and I'll be damned if it did not come true. Twenty thousand roads, I went down, down, down, and they all led me straight back home to you.")

The last song down there is "The Trains." by the Nashville Ramblers, Carl Rusk and Ron Silva's band. You have to hear it. It's a near perfect song. Carl's album, "Blue Period" is some pretty bad ass pop too.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~.
Misc:

2 comments:

margen said...

Thanks for tolerating us, Tom's bloggers! The Front st./Lewis St. redux has been an amazing reunion for many of us...then we start talking about the music. Just about all of these tunes still resonate in a big way. I still don't know why that guy thinks that "a knife, a fork, a bottle and a cork" is the way you spell "New York" but I love the song!
Also, ever since I learned that Brian Eno absolutely detests his fans, I have a hard time enjoying his music. That's just me. I'll tie my own shoes, thank you very much Mr. Eno. (btw - your fans= your fortune, in case you never did the math.) Love you Tom.

Tom G said...

Wow, I never heard that Eno had said that. (Hey Eno, I have an oblique strategy for you: fuck off!)