Sunday, November 28, 2010

GIMME SHELTER


Messing around online today, I ended up on Buddyhead. They had a post with five videos of Keith Richards interviews; two about his new autobiography, Life, two with with Hunter Thompson, and one more dated '73. I only watched one of them so far, the first of the two Hunter Thompson interviews. Good stuff with that combo, as you'd imagine. When they start talking about an afterlife, Thompson asks him what he thought J. Edgar Hoover would come back as. After touching on worms, flies, and weasels, when the subject is nearly dead, Richards blurts out "a fawt." (It was interesting to see the rickety wheels turning on that one.) After seeing it, I thought I'd post it, with a Stones song or two. In looking for one, I ran into a post on Plain or Pan, that had isolated vocal and guitar takes for Gimme Shelter. They're a must to check out, to hear clearly just what parts were Richards', and to hear the wails of Merry Clayton. And I do mean wails. That sent me looking for her amazingly good cover version of the same song. It's a lot different than the original, but that's not a bad thing; it still has that voice. Listen to her version, then listen to the alternate take of the Stones version, without her vocals. It sounds scrawny without her; a lot less powerful.

NOTE: Due to a notice from Blogger, all links have been removed on this post. I do not yet know which was the offending link, but I know enough to play it safe until I have more details. Sorry for the inconvenience.

No comments: