Saturday, April 2, 2011

BATTLE OF THE LEADING LADIES


Here's a couple by actresses who sing, or at least think they can sing. You be the judge. It was with skepticism that I clicked on the Scarlett Johansson & Peter Yorn thing, "I Am the Cosmos", but I ended up liking it. Her voice ain't bad, and I really like the way the song is written. If it would have been given a Pet Sounds treatment, I'd be slobbering all over the place.

After I heard it, I remembered that Goldie Hawn did a respectable cover of "I'll Be Your Baby Tonight," backed by the Buckaroos (that's Buck Owens' band for those of you who aren't Ginny). I went looking for it, but couldn't find it. But I did find her cover of "Hard Days Night," from a George Martin compilation. As an afterthought I went digging for a Juliette Lewis cut, just to, you know, give this post a feisty edge. Found exactly the type of song I was looking for, one with her and the Prodigy.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Scarlett Johansson & Peter Yorn - I Am the Cosmos mp3 at 8106
Goldie Hawn - A Hard Days Night mp3 at Scalp Plaxmol
Juliette Lewis with The Prodigy - Spitfire mp3 at Dark Castle
Bonus:
Chris Bell - I Am The Cosmos mp3 at Chompy.net

2 comments:

missjulied said...

The way you phrased it makes it sound like you've never heard the original of "I am the Cosmos"? It's not Pet Sounds, but it's a little bit Badfinger, check it out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kR594Kkxmzg

Tom G. said...

Well, Chris Bell, huh? That would explain why it's well written (he said while trying to hide the shame of not knowing the original). You're right. Definitely a Badfinger thing going on. Thank you Miss Julie D!

P.S. Added the mp3.