Wednesday, July 6, 2011

SCREAMING BEACH YOUTH COVER ME


I have respect for some of the people who do the little niche blogs. When it's the narrow scope of a music sub-genre it's one thing, but then there's the non-music genre niche blogs; they can get weird. There are thrift store record blogs, bootleg blogs, and the always questionable I'm gonna share every record I ever owned blogs (if you're wondering, this one would probably best be categorized as a I'm gonna go on an MP3 hunt for some cool shit and see if I can milk it for a post blog). And one rather popular blog theme is cover versions. It's a particularly brave theme, because a high percentage of covers either suck or are way too obvious. Some time ago, I was hooting and hollering about Versions Galore, still my favorite cover blog and one that gets it right. Another cover blog I find myself on from time to time is Cover Me. And that was the case tonight.


The latest post at Cover Me is a collection of covers of all of the songs from Pet Sounds, which could easily be subtitled "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly" because, one of the challenges of posting covers of one particular artist, is finding decent covers of their songs. The challenge becomes bigger still when you're trying to find covers of songs all from the same parent album. Quite frankly, it's a recipe for disaster. So, while I'm not nuts about all of the covers of Pet Sounds material (can I stop for a moment to tell you how much I hate She & Him?), I have to tip my hat, because it's a bold endeavor, a bold endeavor with some songs that suck, but a bold endeavor nonetheless.



To tell you the truth, what really got my attention is that one of the songs from Cover Me's Pet Sounds "Full Album" cover post is by Seagull Screaming Kiss Her Kiss Her, a Japanese band that can, at different times, sound like the Ramones, Sonic Youth, a hard rocking predominantly female Japanese band that you've probably never heard of, or a combination of any of the three. Their cover of the Beach Boy's "You Still Believe In Me" is nice, but not them at their best. But, I dig 'em, and their stuff is near impossible to find online. So, bonus points are due Cover Me, for posting them. Not only that but it gave me an excuse to post a totally unrelated video of them, being that they are a hard rocking predominantly female Japanese band that you've probably never heard of, and I've been dying to shove them in front of you. I just needed an excuse. That is all.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Sonic Youth - I Know There's An Answer mp3 at Cover Me
Seagull Screaming Kiss Her Kiss Her - You Still Believe In Me mp3 at Cover Me
Thurston Moore - Here Today mp3 at Cover Me (Moore's side project: Self-Indulgent Youth)
LPs:
Seagull Screaming Kiss Her Kiss Her: 4 LP's (via Mediafire) at Rebel Japan Music Note: Cut and paste MediaFire link addresses.
Visit:

Cover Me's Full Albums: The Beach Boys' Pet Sounds cover post
Cover Me's Full Albums: The Clash's' London Calling cover post
Cover Me's Full Albums: Led Zeppelin IV cover post

No comments: