Wednesday, September 7, 2011

FULL ON STAX SWEAT



It might have been because Sam and Dave were the first Stax act that I latched onto. It might have been because I was seeing a choice video clip unexpectedly, without actually looking for it. Whatever the reason, last night, while working on the Packy Axton post, I ran into the clip below, of Sam and Dave and, literally, got goosebumps. Not the kind that go away in a few seconds. Folks, I looked at my arms halfway through the clip and it looked like I was breaking out in hives. As if I needed a reminder what good music is capable of.



It's not just Sam and Dave's performance that got to me. It was the sight of Booker T and the MG's backing them, with the Mar-Keys on horns. Take a look at it. This is what a groove driven, exceptionally tight band looks like. Check out Duck Dunn, the bassist; he knows. On the first song, "You Don't Know Like I Know," he's got it bad. And drummer Al Jackson is just as into it. You out to watch all the videos below. They're all from a Stax Volt revue, in Norway in 1967. Besides Sam and Dave, there are performances by Booker T and The MGs, Arthur Conley, Eddie Floyd, the Mar-Keys and Otis Redding. Phew!

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Sam and Dave - Soul Sister, Brown Sugar mp3 at Beware of the Blog
Sam and Dave - You Don't Know Like I Know mp3 at Lumberjack Thief
Sam and Dave - You Got Me Hummin' mp3 at Beware of the Blog
Sam and Dave - Wrap It Up mp3 at The Soul Girl
Sam and Dave - It's a Wonder mp3 at Mr. Suave
Sam and Dave - When Something Is Wrong With My Baby mp3 at Eddie Watkins Jr.
Video:
Stax Volt Tour of Norway, 1967: Booker T and The MGs, Arthur Conley, Sam and Dave, Eddie Floyd, the Mar-Keys and Otis Redding.
Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, Part 5, Part 6
Visit:

"You Know I've Got Soul": The Legendary 1967 Stax European Tour at The Selvedge Yard

No comments: