Wednesday, November 2, 2011

UNLIKE PICASSO, IGGY WAS


The five piece Modern Lovers, with John Felice rejoining, lasted for two months (post-first LP)

Boy, oh boy, talk about running to a safe harbor. I ran into a cover of the Modern Lovers' "Pablo Picasso," by Iggy Pop. Four word appraisal: it flat out sucks. If it were the early Stooges doing it, I might be typing something different. I suppose it might appeal to Iggy Pop completists, but I'm by no means one of them. I had no choice. Had to hear me some of the good ol' repetitive, plodding sounds of the original version, with a slight detour through some other early Modern Lovers songs. Do yourself a favor, just get the first Modern Lovers LP. Though now watered down by a sub-par bonus cuts, the original nine cuts are still there, so in lieu of having the original LP (which is undoubtedly available by now in it's original version on vinyl), you can always reconstruct it digitally. Nine songs. Far and away, the best stuff Jonathan Richman ever did.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~

No comments: