Wednesday, December 7, 2011

I'M WITH THEM


Dobie Gray died yesterday. The singer of the soft rock mainstay "Drift Away," he really hit his stride earlier with "The In Crowd," an ode to hipster cliques that I've always been at particular odds with. Thankfully, Sam the Sham and the Pharoahs crafted an answer that I could live with. Now, I know that Gray didn't write "The In Crowd," and that Sam the Sham and the Pharoahs' "(I'm In With) The Out Crowd" could use a little more oomph (it sounds pretty tame compared to "Wooly Bully"), but with all due respect to family and associates of Dobie Gray, I gotta go with the latter.

Exhibit A, From "The In Crowd": "I'm in with the in crowd, I go where the in crowd goes, I'm in with the in crowd, and I know what the in crowd knows." Sounds like there's a pack mentality going on.

Exhibit B, from "(I'm In With) The Out Crowd": "But I’m in with the out crowd, and they never seem to care, if my clothes are tattered and worn, or the way I wear my hair." Here, here!

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Dobie Gray - The In Crowd mp3 at The Soul Girl
Sam the Sham & the Pharoahs - In With the Out Crowd mp3 at Beware of the Blog
Bonus joke I heard minutes ago:
Q: How many hipsters does it take to screw in a light bulb?
A: Nevermind, it's an obscure number that you've probably never heard of.

No comments: