Saturday, January 7, 2012

YEAH? SHOW ME SPECIAL


I was not all that surprised that the Specials still had an official web site. Thinking: Oh, hey, there's a blog...let's see here...oh, wow, there's something about a tour? Oh yeah, this is gonna be rich. What's this nonsense about strings? ...and so on. Then I scanned to the bottom of the page, waaay down there, and in tiny type, it said "Jerry Dammers will not be performing as part of the re-formed The Specials." What?! If you ask me, no Dammers, no Specials, AKA or otherwise. Reformed or otherwise. I've forgotten their history (and I'm too lazy right now to deal with researching why I have the impression that I do), but somewhere along the way, I've had reason to think of Dammers as the heart and soul of the Specials. Whether or not it's warranted, that's what I think. When the Specials split up, some became the Fun Boy Three, and some became Special AKA. The latter went on to record "Free Nelson Mandela," which is a magnificent piece of work. The former did a Go-Go's song. And Dammers was the head AKA-er, that much I know. So he was there for "Message To You Rudy," he was there for "Ghost Town" and he was most definitely there for "Free Nelson Mandela." Nope, sorry. Ain't buying it. If he's not in it, it ain't.


~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
The Specials - A Message to You Rudy mp3 at Booween
The Specials - Little Bitch mp3 at Joe Bien
The Specials - Ghost Town mp3 at 8106
Special AKA - Free Nelson Mandela mp3 at Contort

No comments: