Saturday, March 24, 2012

TAKE TWO OF THESE


Man, it seemed like the invasion of bland music today. As if all the bad things about music were hitting all at once, in some sort of concentrated bland ray gun. By the time I got home, I felt like listening to something a little tweaked....no, not necessarily tweaked; original, different, unrestrained. Not some pop music, or rock 'n' roll, jazz or blues, or spoken word; or anything at all. I needed everything all at the same time. Good ol' Captain Beefheart delivered me a mental snot rocket. Several of them.



The first four below are from Trout Mask Replica, an album that always ends up on the assorted "Best Albums of All time" type lists. The songs were lifted from a nifty post at My Dad's Records, a blog in which the host digitizes and reviews his dad's record collection. If you don't know the LP, or forget what it was like hearing it for the first time, the post is a worthy read. The writer seems confounded, and is so honestly, which put a smile on my face because I remember that exact feeling when I first heard it.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
From Trout Mask Replica:
Captain Beefheart & the Magic Band - Frownland
at My Dad's Records
Captain Beefheart & the Magic Band- Moonlight On Vermont at My Dad's Records
Captain Beefheart & the Magic Band - Orange Claw Hammer at My Dad's Records
Captain Beefheart & the Magic Band- Sugar 'N Spikes at My Dad's Records
Other assorted Beefheart odds and ends:
Captain Beefheart - Diddy Wah Diddy mp3 at Lake Tahoe Real Estate (?)
Captain Beefheart & the Magic Band - Candle Mambo mp3 at Said the Gramophone
Captain Beefheart & the Magic Band - Owed T'Alex mp3 at Said the Gramophone
Captain Beefheart & the Magic Band - Where There's Woman mp3 at Avant Avant
Captain Beefheart & the Magic Band - Observatory Crest at Art Decade
Captain Beefheart & the Magic Band - Hard Workin' Man mp3 at Cows Are Just Food
Visit:
Captain Beefheart Is Not Even Here - 1970 cover story from Rolling Stone
Trout Mask Replica at Wikipedia

No comments: