Monday, May 28, 2012

FROM ALL OVER THE WORLD


Honestly, what does that record cover above say to you? When I see something like that, I have to stop dead in my tracks. It's as if it's challenging me to shake the water out of my ear. This one, from Sri Lanka's The Three Sisters, has it all: East does West, simple album cover, traditional garb; and, is there a better title as an introduction to Sri Lankan pop music than The Three Sisters A Go-Go? Sucked me right in. "Malwage," is just the thing to throw in the middle of a mix, to break up that three chord shit you listen to. As semi-skewed the instrumentation is on that one, the other song, "Inunil Menika" throws sitar into the mix, trading licks with the guitar. (Still, I know, I like "Paint It Black" better too.) The hosting blog of these two songs, Radiodiffusion International, is amazing in its scope. There's a hell of a lot of research behind it, a lot of stuff you can learn, with music from roughly 75-100 countries. It's like going on a global thrift store spree and landing back at home with a bunch of records and the Encyclopedia Britannica.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
The Three Sisters - Malwage Api mp3 at Radiodiffusion Intl
The Three Sisters - Inunil Menika mp3 at Radiodiffusion Intl
More music from Sri Lanka at Radiodiffusion Intl
Music from all over at Radiodiffusion Intl

No comments: