Saturday, May 12, 2012

GO SAAKA YOURSELF

Holy hell, seems like yesterday.  The first time I heard Scotty's "Draw Your Bakes" it was from the soundtrack of the film The Harder They Come, where many of you may have been introduced to it.  It was the first reggae DJ cut I'd ever heard.  I didn't even know what to compare it to.  But the combination of the excellent backing rhythm (which has been used several times over the years), and my first exposure to toasting, made it all that more interesting.  That was a long, long time ago, and it still does something to me.  I never thought I'd get to see a video of him performing it.  Though not an early performance, it is faithful to the record, and, if you ask me, very cool. The way he start's off, "Oh my gosh...have mercy!", and his delivery; he flows like few DJs can.  For the ultimate test, listen to it without watching the video, as you would a record.  If you like the original recorded version, this is a must.



To those of you who know "Draw Your Brakes," the recorded version, and always wondered just what he's yelping at the beginning if it, check out this site.  A guy was curious so he tracked down an expert in Jamaican patois.  After wondering for literally two thirds of my life, I just found out he's saying "Forward and payaaka, manhangle and den go saaka,” which means “go and take away a next man’s girl, grab her and then go have sex with her.”  Dude, uncool.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Scotty - Draw Your Breaks mp3 at La Grand Chose
Scotty - Do I Worry mp3 at La Grand Chose
Scotty - Musical Chariot mp3 at La Grand Chose
Scotty - Shocking Love mp3 at La Grand Chose  
Scotty - Lonely Man mp3 at La Grand Chose
Visit:
Scotty at Wikipedia 
Draw Your Brakes - A Jamiacan Creole Shout at Steve Cotler

1 comment:

Leopold Stotch said...

Nice! Just getting ready to feature a track from THTC myself!
BTW the original cut of stop is pretty good tune on it's own too...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0w3RY4aieDI