Thursday, September 6, 2012

MY KIND OF SURF MUSIC


Walking home from an evening dip earlier, it was one of those rare cynicism free moments. I'd gotten off early, and on my way down to the beach, I ran into a friend with all six of her kids, from the ages of five to fifteen, all half fish, as is their mom. A block later I ran into Gary, the guy who's always down on the wall by the beach handing out dog eared second hand bibles to any takers, sermon free. A hundred yards later, Larry, known to locals as "the guitar guy." He sits on the same rock, playing the same barely audible songs, that he has for going on twenty years. Larry lives in his van, but is a man with unbroken spirit, always appreciative of his real home, a rock by the sea. By the time I reached the water I was already on a familiar fall high. (Excuse me for getting wordy.) Heading home, saturated with warm weather, warm water, and total locals, I was thinking about what type of music would be most fitting for the last couple hours of daylight on a nearly perfect fall day. I had the Budos beat. The Budos Band is my go-to fall soundtrack, and after thinking about it, just as fitting for a surf movie soundtrack as Bud Shank was fifty years ago, and just as valid as Dick Dale and his mob.


Not entirely what I had in mind, but this almost works.

An interesting coincidence: When I looking for some songs, the first blog I landed on, This Bonus Track, began their Budos Band post thusly: "You’re driving along the edge of a cliff. It’s sundown and there’s an ocean next to you..." There's that damn ocean again.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
The Budos Band - Ghost Walk mp3 at This Bonus Track
The Budos Band - Unbroken, Unshaven mp3
at This Bonus Track
The Budos Band - Chicago Falcon mp3
at This Bonus Track
The Budos Band - Natures Wrath mp3
at The Cargo Culte
The Budos Band - Mas O Menos
(streaming) at Our Vinyl With a good interview

No comments: