Friday, November 16, 2012

A DREAMY MASTERPIECE

I'm not sure what it was that struck such a chord with my friends and I, but when George Lucas's American Graffiti was released in 1973, we couldn't get enough of it.  Even though the tag line on the poster, "Where were you in '62?", was undoubtedly aimed at those who actually grew up in the era the film depicted, it didn't stop us from seeing it multiple times and devouring the soundtrack album. Most of us had already been listening to oldies stations, but the soundtrack, a two LP set, was as good a primer in early rock 'n' roll and doo wop as was available at the time. There were the oldies stations favorites (Chuck Berry, Buddy Holly, Bill Haley and the Comets, etc) but there were also vocal numbers rarely heard by our teen ears. For most of us, it was our first real introduction to doo wop and fifties vocal groups.



The Spaniels, the Diamonds, the Crests, the Platters, the Regents, the Del Vikings,...jeez, there were a ton of them on the soundtrack.  Lucas spared no expense, licensing all of the songs in their entire form, rather than snippets, so he could curate what is one of the most comprehensive soundtracks-as-time-capsule albums ever released.  There were forty one songs, and all but two (by Flash Cadillac and the Continental Kids) were by the original artists, dating from 1953 to 1962.  Due to the licensing fees, it wasn't a cheap album, but in terms of cost versus spins, it was a bargain.

I'd been meaning to do a thorough dissection of the album at some point, but when I ran into a cover of the Flamingos' "I Only Have Eyes For You" by Beck, I figured it was high time to quit cutting bait for a minute. His version is actually pretty good, and faithful enough that it sent me looking for the Flamingos' original. I'm glad I did, because I was reminded what a beautiful song it is.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
The Flamingos - I Only Have Eyes For You mp3 at Motel de Moka 
Beck - I Only Have Eyes For You mp3 at L.A.D.R.I. 
Visit: 
41 Original Hits from the Soundtrack of American Graffiti at Wikipedia

No comments: