Friday, March 1, 2013

GIVE IT UP OR TURN IT LOOSE

It's done folks. It's been merchandised and marketed, misused, and misunderstood, and it is done. Dead as a door nail. Believe me, if you're younger, whatever it is that you think is punk rock is, it's just a way to sell patches, buttons and black clothes. (As my Dad said to me back in the day, "Oh, I get it. You're just being different together.") So, you want some proof? How about robots playing the Ramones? Or Malcolm McLaren and Vivien Westwood's punk rock get-ups in the collection of the Costume Institute of the New York Metropolitan Museum of Art?


Here's what bugs me other than the punk rock angle. (Which really doesn't get me all that worked up. I just like shooting my mouth off.). Just looking at the complexity of the Ramones playing robots, you know it took an awful lot of time, money and know- how to create, program, set up, and all that jazz. What could the creators have done more effectively with less time and effort? That's right. They could have actually picked up a guitar and learned three chords.

As for the McLaren/Westwood collection, check this article to read about the factual errors that were included. Here's what bugs me about that: They were pretty glaring. Anyone who knows a little more than average about UK punk rock of that era would catch these errors. That doesn't bug me as much as it does thinking about what other factual errors might exist in the museum.  Picasso and Banksy were pals. True story. Done and done.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
ATV - How Much Longer mp3 at Faking It 
Sex Pistols [sic]- Friggin' in the Riggin' mp3 at Joi Ito
Visit:
Observer article highlights Met’s embarrassing punk flaws.at Paul Gorman Is Check the links at the bottom too.
McLaren and Westwood collection at the Metropolitan Museum of Art

No comments: