Monday, March 11, 2013

REOH MADE ME BUY IT.

I bought my first Wilco album yesterday. Yep, you read that right. Despite being cognizant of their alleged greatness, the band that everybody seems to drool over has just now crept into the pile. Though I've heard their music serendipitously for quite a while, and I did have a cassette of that Mermaid Avenue thing they did with Billy Bragg (courtesy of a very good friend), being a cassette you can guess how long ago that was. I probably didn't give it much of a chance. Regardless, what I think of their music isn't really all that important. It just made me think about what makes someone pick out something, and why they put off checking out this band or that.


By the time you've been exposed to all sorts of types of music, you may not necessarily be jaded, you're usually just a little older. Picking up a title of some band that's being raved about loses its urgency. And that urgency lessens the longer the band is around and the bigger their back catalog gets. You realize that their stuff will be in print for a while, and used stuff will be plentiful, so there's no big worry about missing out on anything. (To wit, I've owned only one Led Zepplin LP, despite seeing them live in their prime. Their music was inescapable then, and I knew that would be the case for some time. Ho hum, I'll get to them.)


So what made me succumb yesterday? It was cheap, that's part of it. I left the record store with four LPs and two CDs for fifteen bucks. (99 cent bins are your friend.) But the real reason is because the son of some friends of mine just made his first parent-less trip to L.A. to see a band, Wilco, a few weeks ago. It's a rite of passage for teenagers in San Diego, something I went through, as did most of my friends. (A lot of bands skip San Diego and just play L.A., two hours to the north.) What made this kid's trip special is that, not only do I remember when he was born, I remember when his parents first met roughly twenty years ago, just feet from where I'm sitting right now. They're like family. That's the cool part. I bought it because the kid digs Wilco. I'll always have that association. Don't ask what my priorities are, I'm always be late to the party anyway.

NOTE: Reoh, the hero of our story, has Cystic Fibrosis. So does his brother Thor. I'd be remiss if I didn't take this opportunity to encourage you to visit the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. Skip your lattes and send them a check instead. 

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen: 
Wilco (with Billy Bragg) – California Stars mp3 at Side One Track One
Covers (all live):
Wilco - I Wish I Was Your Mother (live) mp3 at Cover Me
Wilco - No Depression (live) mp3 at Cover Me
Wilco - TV Eye (live) mp3 at Cover Me
Wilco - Won't Get Fooled Again (live) mp3 at Cover Me
Wilco - Thank You Friends (live) mp3 at Cover Me
Wilco - 100 Years From Now (live) mp3 at Cover Me
Wilco - Color Me Impressed (live) mp3 at Cover Me
Wilco - I Shall Be Released (live) mp3 at Cover Me
Wilco - I Wanna Be Sedated (live) mp3 at Cover Me
These and 24 more covers at Cover Me
Visit:
Wilco - Official site
Wilco at Wikipedia
Cystic Fibrosis Foundation

No comments: