Tuesday, April 16, 2013

SUN SECOND STRINGERS

Sun Studio. Yeah baby. You  know what happened there. Try to forget all of the familiar stuff you've heard before, the Elvis, Jerry Lee Lewis, Roy Orbison, and Carl Perkins stuff, all of it. There was a ton of stuff recorded there that you haven't heard, from people you've never heard of. A lot of it wasn't released on Sun Records, so you won't find it on Sun Records compilations. That's the reason I need to give a rare endorsement. I'm not a completist by any means, but I've got four Sun Records compilations, several single artist LPs and a handfull of 45s, and I'm here to tell you that by far, the best bang for your buck comes from a four CD set called "Rockin' Memphis", that can be found at online retailers for as low as seventeen bucks. All Sun related music is represented, blues, hillbilly, rockabilly, boogie; it's a gold mine. There's 118 cuts in all, that's less than fifteen cents per song. Like most Sun comps, there's a decent share of the hits, but there's predominantly second stringers, some unfamiliar. Many of the cuts were released on other labels. I don't think I have to spell it out. An also-ran recorded at Sun is still hot shit.

These are just random songs that I found that weren't by the big guns. There might be one or two from that box set, I haven't checked. But the point is this: just about everything recorded at Sun during it's glory days in the fifties was good. The cuts below are just a random selection.Yeah I know, this might be a rather obvious tip, but I don't have a clue who I'm talking to.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Andy Anderson - Tough, Tough, Tough mp3 at Rocky 52
Warren Smith - So Long I'm Gone mp3 at Beware of the Blog
Mack Self - Mad at You mp3 at Rocky 52 
Ike Turner - Get It Over Baby mp3 at Kollege Daily
Billy Emerson - When It Rains It Pours mp3 at Paul Altobelli
Visit:
Sun Studio at Wikipedia

No comments: