Wednesday, November 20, 2013

TEX MEX PSYCH DUB

Seriously. How can you ignore that image?. That's Esteban Jordan. I'm shallow. Anyone that looks as baddass as that is welcome at my party. I don't give a shit what they play, or what they sound like. In this case, it matters little, because I loves me Mexican music. Norteno, conjunto, ranchero, Tex-Mex, whatever you got. And Esteban Jordan was good at it, and he wasn't shy about stretching boundaries. Hearing him reminds me of two things, being in Mexico, and the late great Rancho Grande, one of my favorite restaurants of all time. Their jukebox had a lot of this type of stuff, and the food was good (trying not to get sidetracked here...). Check these by Jordan. They're kind of like that restaurant. Not perfect, but authentic, greasy, and good.

Tex Mex psych dub

That first one below jams (though I could do without The Man Show type chorus). You gotta check his cover of "You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling". If you're at all into reggae melodica player Augustus Pablo, ten seconds into the song, the intro becomes this thing that is not all that far removed from Pablo's stuff. I know by saying that I sound like a complete douche, but there might be one person who hears it, and that's why I said it. If you don't think Tex-Mex and reggae can coexist in some sort of musical Venn diagram, you can just, I don't know, flake off. Get yourself a crew cut baby.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Esteban Jordan - Las Coronelas mp3 at Let's Polka
Esteban Jordan - El Cascabel (streaming) at La Planga
Esteban Jordan - You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling mp3 at To the Sublime
Video:
Tito Lavaria (ex-Plugz) with Esteban Jordan - Radio Head at YouTube From the film True Stories
Esteban Jordan - Una Estrellita lloro at YouTube
There's tons more at YouTube

No comments: