Tuesday, March 18, 2014

NICEST HAIR: FOUR WAY TIE

What you have here is a band of Texas psych dudes deciding to cut costs on the band photo by going to a Sears photo studio. Just going on a hunch, my thinking is that they had to save the dough for their killer outfits. You gotta hand it to them, this promo photo worked. It made me want to hear them, though not necessarily for the intended reason. Regardless, it prompted one of those "I gotta hear what these guys sound like" click reflexes. I have to say, I was surprised. The host, Brobots, says it "may be the greatest, most perfectly realized rock and roll song of them all. I guess." While I beg to differ, it does sound pretty tough for this well groomed of a group, however fleeting that moment may have been. I'd like to thing that when they actually hit a stage, it was ramshackle, they smelled of sweat and smokes, and hadn't seen shampoo for a week.

Duly hard sounding through the intro, a little proto-stoner rock thing going on, until the vocals come in. Aw, crap. They're all "la, la, la" in contrast to the backing tracks. That's what bugs my about a lot of music that falls under the ever-widening (because it sells to hipsters) umbrella of "psych". I mean, look at the name of the song, "Hot Smoke and Sassafrass". Listen to the hippy dippy lyrics. Guys, just, just,..don't get heavy on us, bros. Get HEAVY on us! Sheesh! (Wait, what's this?! Where did this VO5 come from?!)

You probably want to know more about this band. Check out Brobots for that, and dig around over there. There's a lot of good stuff in the old posts. This one was posted in 2009.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~ 
Listen: 

No comments: