Thursday, April 24, 2014

PUD DA DIN? IT'S ESPERANTO BABY.

Check that ridiculous LP cover above. Would that make you part with a quarter? I did. I bought it years ago in a thrift store. So long ago that my the only exposure to Latin music up to that point had been Santana, Azteca, Malo, and Latin rock bands like that. The record was cheap, and I just thought the cover was goofy as shit. But, as goofy as it was, the music was every bit as infectious. 



That spontaneous twenty five cent gamble led to all sorts of shit that I hadn't heard. Celia Cruz, Tito Puente, Ray Barretto, Jack Costanzo, Willie Bobo, Pancho Sanchez, Fania Records, Tico Records, Johnny Pacheco, Mongo Santamaria,...years of linking one name to the next. Twenty five cents. We've all had records like that. Cheap gambles that pay dividends. That's why I never bothered to be one of those always hustling record collectors. What's the hurry?  I've got my whole life. I'll ingest it slowly.  It's not the destination, it's the journey, and I happen to like draggin' ass.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Joe Cuba Sextet - Bang, Bang mp3 at LP Cover Lover
Joe Cuba Sextet - Push, Push, Push mp3 at Alejandro Borrero
Joe Cuba Sextet - Pud-Da-Din mp3 at Super Sonido
Joe Cuba Sextet - Ooh Ah! mp3 at Super Sonido

No comments: