Tuesday, November 18, 2014

HOW DID THIS THING GET IN HERE?

Todd Rundgren is just about the last person I thought I'd ever post here. For more than a few reasons, one in particular is that he never fully grabbed me. I'm sure many fiends would argue, but I find most of his stuff, the stuff I've heard anyway, boring. I can appreciate his craftiness, but that only goes so far, That all said, one LP, A Wizard, A True Star, has been in my collection for decades. When I first heard it, it filled a void. A second tier player taking a stab at making their own Sgt. Pepper's type layered weirdness. It actually holds up pretty well for that sort of thing. I guess, I'm not too well versed in layered weirdness. I might be blowing things out of proportion. But it's listenable, best when played in it's entirety. The segues and juxtaposition of styles keep it interesting. When it goes from "International Feel" and "Never Never Land", the first two cuts on the album, into an instrumental, you start to just go with it and take it in. Then it goes into "You Need Your Head", and you know you're going on a ride. I think that's what initially grabbed me, Listen to it and consider that it was 1973. Of course you're going to give the rest of it a shot. Check the medley of soul covers from the middle of side two. Good stuff, ending in "Cool Jerk", a jacked up version that kind of snaps you to attention for the final leg.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Todd Rundgren - International Feel mp3 at Blupawradio (?)
Todd Rundgren - Never Never Land mp3 at Tavie
Todd Rundgren - You Need Your Head (streaming) YouTube
Todd Rundgren - When the Shit Hits the Fan mp3 at Art Decade
Todd Rundgren - Medley: I'm So Proud / Ooh Baby Baby / La La Means I Love You / Cool Jerk (streaming) at YouTube
The whole LP:
Todd Rundgren - A Wizard, A True Star (streaming) at YouTube
Visit:

No comments: