Tuesday, December 16, 2014

BUBBLEGUM? WHAT'S THAT?

How the fuck did that just happen? One minute my interest is piqued by an Archies cover by Big Youth, then six clicks later I'm digging through the catalog of Pressure Sounds, a UK label, They specialize in obscure and never released reggae, much of it from the golden era. I think you know what that means. About Big Youth. the cover is great, it's him with Junior Byles, from 1977. It's on a post with nine songs, a good cross section, a couple of which are below. There's some even you hot shots might not recognize (Pluto? The Eagles?). 

Looking for more info about the Big Youth cut, I ended up on the page for his "Town Without Pity" 45 at Pressure Sounds. A nice 45 I may purchase one day. A couple clicks later I ran into a compilation of versions, all from the Micron label, and deep with heavy hitters. Holy jeez, add that to the list. Looks like this fantasy shopping trip is gonna take a while. The song snippets sucked me right in.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Big Youth with Junior Byles - Sugar Sugar mp3 at Now That's What I Call Bullshit
U Roy - Dreadlocks Dread mp3 at Now That's What I Call Bullshit
Dr, Alimantado - I Killed the Barber mp3 at Now That's What I Call Bullshit
Big Youth - Hit the Road Jack mp3 at PashPash
Big Youth - Cool Breeze mp3 at Le Blog de la Grande Chose
Visit:
Pressure Sounds  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bob Marley's version of Sugar Sugar, from around 1970 or so, is awesome. He totally sells it - just a joy to listen to.

Marc