Tuesday, December 23, 2014

KILLJOY TO THE WORLD

Attention party planners: skip this one. Run. It's sort of a counterpoint to all of the holiday glee. Which, of course, means some of you miscreants will eat it up. I'm not particularly fond of it, but William Burroughs has never really been my thing. I know he's an all-time writer, part of our American fabric and all that sort of underbelly stuff, but jeez, dude, do you ever lighten up? One thing I realized after looking for a photo is that Burroughs rarely smiled. I ran into a lot of images of him and only one with a smile on his face. There's quite a few of him shooting guns, and more than I expected of him with rock stars (Patti Smith, Joe Strummer, David Bowie, Debby Harry, Jim Carroll, Lenny Kaye, Jimmy Page, Madonna, Mick Jagger...), but in most photos he looks miserable, or at least reluctant to pose. Fine. I hate having my picture taken too.

So, nothing about the man here, nothing you can take home with you anyways, just another sordid tale from his Smith Corona, The Junky's Christmas. The video is a claymation short, from the studio of Francis Ford Coppola, and might just be the most depressing animated film I've ever sat through. But, counterpoint it is, and that's the rationale.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
William S. Burroughs - The Junky's Christmas mp3 at Boogie Woogie Flu
Video:
William S. Burroughs - The Junky's Christmas at YouTube
Visit:
William S. Burroughs at Wikipedia Enough to get you started.

No comments: