Thursday, February 12, 2015

GREAT DRUM HEADS IN HISTORY

What? Like, with a band name like Vic Pitts and the Cheaters, you're not gonna bite? It was an instantaneous reflex for me. When I see a band name like that, the song is definitely going to get listened to. What exactly name like "that" is, I'm not sure. All I know is that if you do enough scavenging, those kind of names stick out like fishing lures. Sometimes the clicks pay off.



Dig the fruits of clicking, Vic Pitts and the Cheaters "The Trip". a funky as hell instrumental. It's posted at AM, Then FM, one of two blogs by Jeff Ash, a man apparently of taste. The other, The Midnight Tracker is where I am now. As it says on his sidebar, it's named after a late night FM radio show of the same name, back in the day,. That;'s what sucked me in. I can remember a time when FM radio was so wide open, stations would do shit like that. Anyway, the album side I was just digging on is a Willie Mitchell LP, and it's classic Mitchell. In other words, like Booker T and the MGs got really stoned at the Stax barbeque, as a buzzed Packy Axton looked on, rolling his eyes. Let that one run, it's six songs in fourteen minutes. Once you get past the first two, your pace will have slowed enough to be really digging it. Stick around until 9:34. you'll be rewarded with a really swanky cover of  "Hawaii Five-O".

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Willie Mitchell - Side 2 of Soul Bag at The Midnight Tracker Go there to get it. Six songs in fourteen minutes.

No comments: